Total Pageviews

About Me

El Paso, Texas, United States
Watershed Moments: Grew up in Alaska, Seattle Wash and high school years in Las Cruces NM nestled below the Organ Mountains. Married at 20 Motherhood at 21, BA at 24 Widowed at 27. Explosive encounter with Christ at 30, remarried at 37 to a very handsome Dutch missionary. Worked with indigenous peoples for 7 years. Went to seminary at 42 and applied for Ph.D at Trinity in 2009. Widowed at 63.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hosanna in the Highest!

Never before have I experienced Palm Sunday like this. I can almost feel and hear the crowd approaching Jerusalem. They are going wild with excitement. The long awaited Messiah has come—making all things right, making all things new. I do feel odd that I am not in the crowd or the congregation of the Lord. I am house bound and mourn for our freedom. The freedom to stand, to walk and go where you want to go. Never take that freedom for granted. I can see the waving of the palm branches, it makes me go wild with anticipation. What are we actually waving for today? No doubt it would be for the peace of Jerusalem—when the three religious traditions will bow before Messiah, and they shall recognize He whom they have pierced. We are not guilt free either, as Christians we have done our share in piercing the Lord as well. We have killed the prophets and trampled his servants beneath our feet. We have more often been he-goats than sheep. But today we celebrate the coming of the Lord, yes, on a donkey, but looking forward to the steed. 
Why this is so important to me is unfathomable. Perhaps this signals how desperately I want my Lord to come for us in this hour. Perhaps somehow I vicariously enter into the joy of the Lord through the rumblings of the crowd. Joy is infectious. Ask Emmie. All I know is that it deeply comforts me and that somewhere inside I am rejoicing. That is really an understatement. What I really want to do is go to the store and buy thousands of flowers and balloons. I think I will. Is Costco open today? 
Today my daughter Patty is coming. She arrives on a horse not on a donkey. A horse that flies through the air and brings her here in an hour. Can you believe that? Her feet don't even get dirty enough to wash when she gets here. She is coming to alleviate the strain and the pressures and to do the girlie thing we girls do. Oddly she will rest while she works. But will she whistle, that is the question (just kidding.)
The hospital bed is coming today. We have finally come to the place where his wonderful bed will no longer support his deterioration. My right hip and thigh are permanently twisted from lifting him from the bed to the chair and back again. Though the hospital bed is narrow and not as soft, it will give us the ability to raise and lower him enough to give him medications. 

No comments:

Post a Comment