Total Pageviews

About Me

El Paso, Texas, United States
Watershed Moments: Grew up in Alaska, Seattle Wash and high school years in Las Cruces NM nestled below the Organ Mountains. Married at 20 Motherhood at 21, BA at 24 Widowed at 27. Explosive encounter with Christ at 30, remarried at 37 to a very handsome Dutch missionary. Worked with indigenous peoples for 7 years. Went to seminary at 42 and applied for Ph.D at Trinity in 2009. Widowed at 63.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Widowhood by the Book


I am playing the widow thing by the book. Today i covered the "mechanic" syndrome. i feel totally helpless around tools, wood, screws and anything electrical. I especially feel overwhelmed with instructions. They are just too simple. If they were more complicated I would probably get it. I bought my upteenth fountain today. But I had to assemble it. I panicked. This is where widowhood gets interesting.  I struggled with part a going into part b and turning  the screw to the left. But I did not let it get to me. Viola! I got it to work. 

But everything inside me was crying, "This is a man's job!" It's been a while since I was a single mom. I got also got spoiled because H was a handyman. Ahh. little girl.Talitha Cum... My grown up self refused to buy into this image. But it sure was hard to overcome. I see what God is doing. He is taking me down the low road. I don't like it much. I have gotten too domesticated like the women of Egypt. They suffered terribly in childbirth because they were so soft, unlike the Israelite women who just popped those babies out. Yes, I am too soft now. But hey....I'm old. Look at poor old Sarah, she had a kid at 120? Something like that. I bet she learned not to laugh at God's ideas. Those of you who knew "us" know this is the truth...I was spoiled by Dr. Weerstra. It makes a great love story but it's not great when reality comes knocking. 

There is nothing new under the sun. I remember the widow across the street from us some 10 years ago. She was 88 and still climbing up on the roof to fix her air conditioner. I remember thinking "Yuck!  How awful is that?" 


No comments:

Post a Comment