Total Pageviews

About Me

El Paso, Texas, United States
Watershed Moments: Grew up in Alaska, Seattle Wash and high school years in Las Cruces NM nestled below the Organ Mountains. Married at 20 Motherhood at 21, BA at 24 Widowed at 27. Explosive encounter with Christ at 30, remarried at 37 to a very handsome Dutch missionary. Worked with indigenous peoples for 7 years. Went to seminary at 42 and applied for Ph.D at Trinity in 2009. Widowed at 63.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Marking My Territory


A dog, even a cat, marks his territory. The scent brings security. It also brings meaning. This is where they eat, rest, and get some loving, under the right conditions. The problem with Americans is that we do not mark our territories. Not all of us, just us secularized ones. My friend, Stephanie Brown marks her territory with meaning, and everything is alive for her. Everything marks the passages of her life. When you visit her, there are momentos of her journey all along the trail to her front door and beyond. I think God wants to teach me this and give me this faculty. 

For instance, in the courtyard, there are tulips growing. they have taken to the gentle sunlight in that area and are doing wonderfully. Patty planted them before she left. Loving friends sent them to us as momentos of life and of course they were Hans' national flower. It is like a piece of Hans' rests in the garden. They are the only colorful thing in the courtyard and a stark reminder of hope in an otherwise dismal courtyard. The wind makes a nasty daily covering of leaves and twigs. Patty marked our territory with meaning. We all love the tulips. 

So yesterday, under the premise that "If one is good, more is better" we planted Gerber daisies next to the tulips. Why? Because we are stupid. There are no hidden messages of meaning to us in these Gerbers, although they are beautiful. So today they will be moved. We shall create a Gerber Daisy garden some other place and meanwhile study the deeper meaning of the daisy. What is a daisy anyway? It can be a symbol for the church, I discovered, for the center of the daisy is really made up of hundreds of flowers, not just one—similar to the pineapple. It is a hybrid daughter of the sunflower.  I think I have some hybrid daughters also. 


I must learn to mark my territory if I am to live without Hans. My life must become a sacred garden, not just on the inside, but outside as well. 

This morning my task is to name the rooms of our house. I will sleep in the room named _______,  and in the same way, I must learn to mark my days. Fill them with meaning. I have never done this before. I will invest myself in meaning, in friends, and in the richness of this life, before I enter the next. 

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Judy,
    Thank you for letting me know about this blog. Maybe in someway you're mimicing Julie from the movie "Julia & Julie" as you blog daily about life while in-between sorrow and grief. Adolesence is an in-between time...a teenager sees adulthood coming but has to wait. I see you as similarly in-between while you guage what work of the Lord is your part...and when. With adolesence, identity for that adulthood is being forged...likewise for you an identity for this new territory of God's work is being forged; He's the potter, you are the clay. SO until the Potter is done fashioning you, the clay, you're "in-between". Be careful not to be like adolescents who rush head-strong into adulthood...this is your time to bask in your Creator.
    I love you dearly.
    Prayerfully,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Judy, you are being filled with His beauty as you mourn your loss. May He hold you in His arms and be your husband and KIng. Much love and many prayers for comfort! Rejina

    ReplyDelete