Total Pageviews

About Me

El Paso, Texas, United States
Watershed Moments: Grew up in Alaska, Seattle Wash and high school years in Las Cruces NM nestled below the Organ Mountains. Married at 20 Motherhood at 21, BA at 24 Widowed at 27. Explosive encounter with Christ at 30, remarried at 37 to a very handsome Dutch missionary. Worked with indigenous peoples for 7 years. Went to seminary at 42 and applied for Ph.D at Trinity in 2009. Widowed at 63.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Aah...where is my roaring fire?

I open the door to the backyard to let out the cat and close it quickly. I am not happy with what I see. The yard feels frozen and empty of life. The grass appears to have a thin layer of snow on it and the trees are splintery and colorless. How can anything good come from this? It is a season. That's all, a season of life. Spring reminds me that all things evolve and that time is God's best cultivating tool. Peering out the window, I see that only doves in the trees stay on, all the wasps and bees have disappeared. The wind is cold and uninviting, the tables are opaque with dust and watery from last summer's splashing. How, I wonder, can anyone enjoy themselves outside right now? The Denver storm has brought cold winds to El Paso and we feel blown about in this sunny city, we feel a frosty bite taken out of us. Our winters are pleasant not bold. But it is the chill to the soul that I feel the most...a hurry to close the door to the tomb...and wait for God's most majestic promises to reappear in the land. I forget that the earth below is waiting to spring forth too, that nature groans under the weight of its own longing..as well as I. We are growing even in the dark and soon it will be evident what we once were. My midnight oil burns bright inside the house, my mind running a thousand miles each evening. My portable university follows me everywhere I go and I store up grain to plant in the spring. Virgins congregate at my table every Thursday night and we enjoy a meal of rich bread and wine as we fill our minds with heavenly visions...but other than that, the winter is here for a while....I cannot yet put away my overcoat and boots. Patience...is wearing on the flesh... Aah..where is my roaring fire? Imagination is a wonderous gift of God. If you can think it...it creates another dream and the future remains fraught with interest and intrigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment